The current public health emergency in Alberta with the COVID-19 virus is concerning for everyone – tenants, our staff, partner agencies, applicants, etc.
Civida wants to re-assure you we are taking steps to protect the health and safety of our tenants, staff, partner agencies and contractors. We continue to maintain operations but we suspended in-person visits to our customer service area in our downtown office at 10232-112 Street. Our service at the Northeast Hub at Ubuntu in Bannerman is also suspended until further notice. Our staff continue to work remotely and remain open for business through email ([email protected]) and our call centre, 780-420-6161.
This is a precautionary measure to prevent the further spread of COVID-19 amongst our customers and employees. This is also consistent with recommendations provided by Alberta Health Services.
Help stop the spread!
We strongly recommend the use of masks or face coverings in enclosed areas of our buildings, including: hallways, lobbies, elevators, indoor parkades and laundry facilities. Protect yourself and others by wearing a mask or face covering, washing your hands frequently and staying home if you are not feeling well or if you are exhibiting symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
The Government of Alberta is providing security for Alberta residential renters during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Effective immediately, tenants cannot be evicted for non-payment of rent and/or utilities before May 1.
- Effective immediately, rents will not increase while Alberta’s state of public health emergency remains in effect.
- Effective April 1, late fees cannot be applied to late rent payments for the next three months.
- Effective April 1, landlords and tenants need to work together to develop payment plans while the state of public health emergency is in effect.
We can still provide customer service to you!
OUR GENERAL INFORMATION LINE CUSTOMER SERVICE HOURS ARE: Monday – Thursday, 8:30 A.M. to 7 P.M., Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 4 P.M.
Documents or Applications
If you would like to submit documents for Annual Income Reviews or applications, please scan and email them to [email protected] where they will be forwarded to your worker for processing without delay.
For rental payments, please note our in-person customer downtown office is closed but there are several other options for payment:
1. You can pay using your bank’s online banking services the same way you would pay a utility bill. Ensure the payee name is: Civida. Use your T-code as your account number.
2. Pay at the bank in person, as long as the banks remain open. Check with your bank for reduced hours.
3. Set up a third-party payment arrangement through Alberta Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) or Income Support
4. Cheque or money order:
- You can mail us a certified cheque, personal cheque or money order (issued through banks, Money Mart, Western Union, etc). Ensure you have your T-code, name and address somewhere on the money order or envelope. Mail to: Civida, 10232-112 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5K 1M4
- You can drop off a personal cheque, certified cheque or money order in our mail dropbox at our 10232-112 Street office. The mail dropbox is located outside our building to the left of our front doors – a silver metal box on the wall.
Please do not send us cash in the mail and do not place cash in the mail dropbox outside our building.
5. NEW *** You can now pay through pre-authorized debit. Pre-authorized debit is best for tenants whose monthly income and rent do not change very much.
Maintenance requests can be reported by contacting your site manager or by calling 780-420-6161.
If you are a rent subsidy recipient, please do not worry. We are committed to ensuring that you will receive your subsidy payment within the usual timeframe.
Safety protocols have been put in place to make sure that after hours security will continue as normal. If you need help outside of business hours, we are still available to help. Paladin Security is our partner in safety & security for all of our buildings. They are available to assist in emergencies after regular business hours during the week and over the weekend.
If you experience a problem after business hours, call 780-420-6161. You will be redirected to the Paladin Security line. They will help figure out if it is necessary to send a contractor or security staff. If it is not an emergency, you will be advised to contact your Site Manager the next business day.
The After-Hours emergency line (780-420-6161) is in effect:
- Monday – Thursday: 7 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. the next day
- Over the weekend: Friday at 4 p.m. to Monday at 8:30 a.m.
- On statutory holidays and while our office is closed over the holiday season.
What is Civida doing?
- We are promoting proper hand hygiene habits and social distancing to our tenants and employees and distributed Alberta Health Services posters to all multi-family properties about preventing the spread of the virus. We also recommend wearing face masks or face coverings in enclosed areas of our buildings, including: hallways, lobbies, elevators, indoor parkades and laundry facilities.
- We increased cleaning and sanitization in all our tenant properties by targeting common areas such as lobbies, common entrances, door handles, elevator buttons, railings and other high use areas by our valued tenants.
- We are proactively reviewing our business continuity plans and have directed staff to work remotely, where appropriate.
- We have spoken to employees who have travelled, are planning to travel or have come into contact with persons who have travelled to areas with high infection rates about the self-isolation protocol recommended by Alberta Health Services.
- We are working with our contractors to ensure they follow safe procedures before entering a unit / property to do work for a tenant to avoid spreading the virus.
- We have notified employees and their managers that if they have any symptoms and think they might be related to COVID-19, they are to call AHS Health Link (811) and they need to self-isolate for the AHS recommended period of time.
- We implemented a working remotely policy for the majority of our staff and for those staff who remain working in our building, there is a strict protocol for entering the building, their mobility is limited while in the building and they are to practice social distancing and must wear masks while they are in the building. The majority of our meetings take place through video conferencing platforms.
- Our Health and Safety office is coordinating with other organizations to share best practices.
- We continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis.
For the most up-to-date information about COVID-19, we encourage you to visit:
- the Alberta Health Services website
- The Alberta Health Services COVID-19 resource page translated pages (posters, videos, etc) in the following languages: عربي 简体中文 繁體中文 Français ਪੰਜਾਬੀ Español ትግርኛ Tiếng Việt
- City of Edmonton website
- City of Edmonton community, non-profit support for Edmontonians website
- COVID-19 emergency supports provided by federal, municipal and provincial governments (City of Edmonton)
- the Government of Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak update website.
- Government of Canada COVID-19 awareness resources
- Alberta Health Services has launched an online tool to help Albertans determine whether they require testing for COVID-19. The test is available at www.ahs.ca/covid and takes you through the steps regarding symptoms (dry cough, fever, difficulty swallowing) to determine whether you should call Health Link at 811.
- COVID-19 multilingual resource options (End Poverty Edmonton)
- COVID-19 signage & posters (including in multi languages)
- social distancing poster (Government of Alberta)
- social distancing tips (Government of Alberta)
- Coping and Connection for Children & Families During COVID-19 (AHS)
- COVID-19 and Your Mental Health (AHS)
- Practical and Emotional Preparedness for a Pandemic (AHS)
Follow our social media for updates.
STAY SAFE, STAY HEALTHY! WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.