At Civida, we know a home is about so much more than the roof over your head. It’s about feeling like you belong. That’s why we work hard to create a sense of community.
We are committed to treating our customers with respect and dignity. We strive to provide safe, inclusive and welcoming spaces where families can thrive, and communities can flourish.
Civida recognizes that we work and serve on Treaty 6 territory, within the Métis homelands and Métis Nation of Alberta Region 4, which has been home to First Nations such as the Nêhiyawak (Cree), Anishinaabe (Saulteaux), Niitsitapi (Blackfoot), Chipewyan (Dene) and Nakota Sioux (Stoney). We acknowledge that long before Civida came into existence, diverse Indigenous peoples made their home here, and continue to be custodians of the land.
Civida is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI)
Building a culture of EDI into the organization will help foster an inclusive environment where customers, staff, and stakeholders are valued and respected. Civida is in the process of developing an EDI framework that will help Civida implement and sustain EDI practices throughout the organization.
Over the last year, Civida has taken intentional steps towards bringing awareness of EDI practices across the organization. These actions include:
- October 2022 – Began to meaningfully integrate land acknowledgements into regular meeting processes. Sharing this opportunity with multiple staff and learning from each other on how we might move in the direction of reconciliation.
- October 2022 – Began developing the accessibility framework which is a document that outlines Civida’s approach to accessibility matters. The development of this framework was informed by external partners such as Voices of Albertans with Disabilities, tenants from Sir Douglas Bader Towers, Edmonton Community Legal Centre, and the Accessibility Advisory Committee of the City of Edmonton.
- March 2023 – Hosted Erin Davis who is an EDI expert to speak to Civida staff about the importance of EDI and how to take tangible actions at work and within their own lives.
- April 2023 – Actively working with the University of Alberta Housing Solutions Lab and Voices of Albertans with Disabilities to test an accessibility suite tool that measures the level of accessibility of each suite.
- June 2023 – Provided accessibility training sessions to all staff across the organization in partnership with Voices of Albertans with Disabilities.
We have only just begun! Civida will continue to develop and seek opportunities to integrate EDI into the organizational culture. Stay tuned for future developments and an EDI Framework that articulates our plans and intentions!