The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act states that public bodies, such as Civida, are required to provide information upon request.
There are two types of requests for records that can be made pursuant to the FOIP Act: Personal Requests and General Requests. There may be fees involved in processing such requests depending on the type and volume of records being requested.
A Personal Request is a request for records that contain your personal information. Personal information is defined in the FOIP Act as “recorded information about an identifiable individual.” Some examples of personal information are your name, date of birth, telephone number, t-code, or correspondence with you. Either you or someone who you have authorized (in writing) to access your personal information (e.g. your lawyer) can make a written request for records containing your personal information.
Based on the FOIP Act, Civida cannot release someone else’s personal information to you. For example, information of other tenants named in a complaint will not be provided without their written consent.
A General Request for information relates to records that do not contain your personal information. Requests for general information often relate to organizational operations. When making a general request there is an initial $25 application fee. The Civida FOIP Coordinator will not begin processing a general request until the initial application fee has been received.
Steps to Submit a FOIP Request to Civida
- Complete the Request to Access Information Form.
- The form will require you to input your personal contact information and describe what information you are requesting to access.
- The Civida FOIP Coordinator may contact you to clarify your request.
2. Send your completed FOIP request form to Civida’s FOIP Coordinator at [email protected]
3. Provide any payment, as necessary.
- There is no charge for personal information requests.
- A $25 initial search fee is charged for general FOIP requests.
- In addition to the initial fee, fees in accordance with Schedule 2 of the FOIP Act may be charged, depending on the efforts required to fulfill the request. The FOIP Coordinator will provide an estimate of these fees prior to commencing the request.
- Payment may be made by pre-authorized debit (form provided on request) or e-transfer to [email protected].